These days, it’s hard to beleive how many kids are embarrassing themselves trying to make a living out of “rapping.” Hip-hop gets increasingly polluted with vanity and fallacy every year. Think of Birdman. Whatever happened to the Cash Money Records I once knew and loved? These ‘Young Money Rich Gang’ losers are turning into the ‘Hair Metal’ of hip-hop.
No offense if you like that shit, but FUCK YOU if you like that shit!
I think it’s important to take some time and give those who preserve the spirit of #REALHIPHOP throughout the trials of the digital age the credit they deserve.
Without further ado, my top 5 rappers in the game. (In no order)
1. Spaceghostpurrp – Who makes better beats? Silence. Yeah, didn’t think so. Purrp paints soundscapes of disturbing evil masterpiece comprable to Picasso’s Guernica or Dante’s Inferno.
“Did he just…?”Yes.
Hearing God of Black Vol. 1 for the first time was the first time I visited hell. Since then, I’ve never heard a Purrp song that didn’t send unsettling chills throughout my bones. Don’t believe me? Listen to B.M.W. and then try to tell me Spaceghostpurrp isn’t Beezlebub himself.
2. Vince Staples – Son is STONE-cold! His last project, Winter In Prague was my favorite mixtape of 2012, and so far, of 2013. Vince’s lyrics show the weight of what carrying a weapon and moving drugs out of necessity will do to a young mind. The looming sense of death that clouds his sonics brings his struggle to life.
Vince’s ability to powerfully convey heart-numbing tales of Compton utilizing casual slick diction and unrelenting honesty is not a feat to dismiss or pass over lightly.
Vince Staples is virtually the opposite of commercial bullshit hip-hop, and for that, I thank him.
3. Lakutis – After I confessed my love for Lakutis in my last post, my fondness for his wierdo wordplay has since multiplied. Aleksey Weintraub can rap circles around any member of Cash Money Records or Maybach Music Group.
His swagger is infinite. His verses, immaculate. He is Nietzsche, hoe! His mixtapes are accepted at any CASH FOR GOLD location nationwide. He is, in fact… Better than Everybody.
4. Action Bronson – The charismatic Albanian chef that took over the rap game in 2012 definitely deserves his props. Bronsoliño is an artist and a spectacle. He has created an absurd character as an extension of himself to voice his most extravagant and outrageous dreams. Now, perched on top of the hip-hop throne, he looks down and watches all of his dreams come true at his feet.
Watch his latest and greatest visuals for ‘Strictly 4 My JEEPS‘
Action Bronson has perfected Queens hip-hop with his vulgar braggadoccio slang, but never strayed from what he came to do in the first place: have fun. Go ahead and kiss the rings… Bitch. Listen to his brand new release, Harry Fraud produced, SAAB Stories HERE
Last, but most important,
5. Lil B ‘THE BASEDGOD’ – TASK FORCE! BITCH MOB! IDGAF!
For those who oppose, and say he cant rap, I give you one of my all time favorite diss tracks, T-Shirts and Buddens. If you still dont like this pick, I invite you to kindly cut your eyes out and ears off with razors. You’re not worthy.
You know what? Fuck it!
6. KOOL AD – He deserves to be on this list because he is one of the smartest men in hip-hop. His verses oscillate between shrewd philisophical statements and dopey nursery rhymes; both work to perfection. After going solo, his music has migrated even further into the cosmos.
Check out these videos:
SUCK MY GOOCH, BIRDMAN!!